Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Born 1941, Kemerovo, Russia
1985 - Kemerovo State Medical Institute, DMedSc, Thesis Title "Experimental and clinical rationale for the use of new xenobioprosthesis for mitral valve replacement”.
1973 - Kemerovo State Medical Institute, Ph.D., Thesis Title: “Aortic Xenovalves Transplantation”.
1970 - 1972 - Postgraduate program at the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery,
Central Order of Lenin Continuing Medical Education Institute, Moscow, Russia
1967 - 1969 - Surgical residency program at the Department of Surgery,
Kemerovo State Medical Institute, Kemerovo, Russia
1958 - 1964 - Kemerovo State Medical Institute, Department of General Medicine, M.D., Kemerovo, Russia
2012 – present time Chief Research Scientist, the Research Institute for Complex Issues of
Cardiovascular Disease, Kemerovo, Russia
2012 – present time Editor-in-Chief of the peer reviewed journal “Complex Issues of Cardiovascular Diseases”, Kemerovo, Russsia
2012 – 2015 - Deputy Director General for Research and Clinical Practice,
Municipal budgetary healthcare institution “Kemerovo Cardiology Center”, Kemerovo, Russia
2005 - Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences
2000-2007 - Head of the Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery Department,
State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education “Kemerovo State Medical Academy” of the Federal Service on Surveillance in Healthcare, Kemerovo, Russia
2000 – 2012 - Director of the Basic Research and Development Laboratory for Cardiovascular Surgery and SB RAMS Medical Center (renamed in 2008 as the Research Institute for Complex Issues of Cardiovascular Diseases SB RAMS), Kemerovo, Russia.
1990 – 2000 - Director of the Municipal Healthcare Institution “Kemerovo Cardiology Clinic”, Kemerovo, Russia.
1988 - present time Professor at the Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery Department, State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education “Kemerovo State Medical Academy” of the Federal Service on Surveillance in Healthcare, Kemerovo, Russia
1976 - 1984 - Associate Professor at the Department of Surgery, Kemerovo State Medical Institute, Kemerovo, Russia
1973 - 1976 - Education Assistant at the Department of Surgery, Kemerovo State Medical Institute, Kemerovo, Russia
Recent Service and Administration
- Elected member of the Academic Council of the Kemerovo State Medical University.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the peer-reviewed journal of “Circulation Pathology and Cardiac Surgery”, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- Member of the Thesis Examination Board at the Institute of Circulation Pathology n.a. E.N. Meshalkin, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- Elected member of the Presidium of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (2006 – present time)
- Elected President of the General Committee of the Kuzbass Research Center, Kemerovo, Russia (2002 -2013)
- Elected member of the Board of the Society of Cardiology of Russian Federation
- Elected member of the Bureau of the Department of Clinical Medicine RAS (2006 – present time)
- Deputy Secretary of the Public Chamber of the Kemerovo Region (2002 -2008)
- Member of the Interdepartmental Research Council of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Ministry of Healthcare and Social Development of the Russian Federation for Cardiovascular Surgery (2002 to 2008)
Research and Personal Contribution
Since the 1970s, L. S. Barbarash has been focusing on the development of fundamental and applied issues for the surgical treatment of acquired heart defects. Numerous research projects dedicated to the design and development of novel biological heart valves and blood vessel substitutes resulted in the foundation of the first Russian enterprise for the production of bioprosthetic heart valves (1987, Kemerovo, ISO 9001). Its production is delivered to Cardiovascular Centers in all regions of the Russian Federation. The results of these studies have been approved by peers on many All-Union and All-Russian conferences and congresses. The enterprise was given the Prize of the Russian Government “For achievements in the field of science and technology" (2007) and the Walton Lillehei Award of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery (1997) for innovative approaches used in the design of novel bioprosthetic heart valves and blood vessel substitutes. In 1995, L.S. Barbarash’s biography was included in the INTERNATIONAL WHO'S WHO IN MEDICINE for his outstanding success in the biomedical reserach.
Unique executive functioning and self-regulation skills allowed L. S. Barbarash to develop and implement innovative healthcare delivery model to patients with cardiovascular diseases based on a closed pattern of medical service provision. In 2005, he was awarded for this model the Prize of the Ministry of Healthcare and Social Development “Mission of Life”.
Since 2012, L. S.Barbarash is an Editor-in-Chief of the peer reviewed journal “Complex Issues of Cardiovascular Diseases”. The journal is included in the Russian Science Citation Index, the UlrichsWeb Global Serials Directory, an electronic library, Cyberleninka, and in the CrossRef inking service using Digital Object Identifiers (DOI).
L.S. Barbarash, Academician of RAS, is a founder and a President of the non-profit entity Kuzbass Charity Fund “Children’s Heart”. Since 2004, the Charity Fund raises money for surgical treatment of children with congenital heart disease. In 2008, Kuzbass Cardiology Center together with the Russian-American Medical Association (United States, Cleveland) and the International Children's Heart Foundation ran the charity project “Siberian Pediatric Heart Project”. This project allows to help acutely ill children with congenital heart defects, requiring complex surgeries. The further step in this fruitful collaboration is training of Kuzbass cardiologists and cardiac surgeons in the top ranked US medical centers.
In January 2013, the first heart transplant was performed in Kemerovo (Kuzbass, Russia) under the supervision of L.S. Barbarash
L.S. Barbarash was an authorized representative of Mr. Putin during the 2012 Russian presidential elections and of Mr. Tuleyev during the 2015 Kemerovo region governor elections.
He is a Project Leader of the grant of the Russian Science Foundation “Development and study of properties of 3D-scaffolds created from biodegradable materials based on "niche-relief" and biofunctionalization technologies to stimulate growth and directed differentiation of endogenous progenitor cells In Situ”.
L. S. Barbarash is an author of 463 manuscripts, including 14 monographs and books, as well as 67 inventions and utility models. Under his supervision, 14 doctoral thesis and 30 candidate theses were successfully defended.
Awards, Prizes and Honors
- Medal “Hero of Kuzbass”
- Award Pin of the Kemerovo Region Governor “Breakthrough to the Future” (2013)
- Order of Honour of Kuzbass" (2012)
- Order of the “Key of Friendship” (2011)
- Silver Order of Honour “Public Recognition” and the Letter of Appreciation from the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation (2008)
- Russian Government Award "Order of Honour" (2007)
- Order of Valour of Kuzbass (2005)
- Award Holder of the Prize of the Ministry of Healthcare and Social Development “Mission of Life” (2005)
- Holder of the A.N. Bakoulev Award (2003)
- Order of Merit for Kuzbass (2002)
- Holder of the National Community Award of Peter the Great (2002)
- Holder of the Russian Government Award in Science and Technology (2001)
- Honoured Doctor of the Russian Federation (1996)
- National Award for Excellence in Healthcare (1989)